Wednesday, March 9, 2011

In the beginning...woman created!

I thought to begin my blog it was only appropriate to start from the beginning...duh! The first quilt I ever made was started my senior year in high school. The pastor's wife of the church I grew up in put together a sew along. It was for a log cabin. We were to select and wash our fabric. When we got to the church she had stations set up. Then we worked all day and pieced it together. This is the only formal training that I have had. That was 13 years ago. I've come a long way baby!
You can't see the very top, but it's the same as the bottom. I left a black ink pen on this one with the cap off. Yup...can't get the stain off. So sad!

I never learned how to properly bind a quilt. For this one I folded over the backing fabric and used a blanket stitch. It looked nice at first. Now it's falling apart and needs serious repair. I used this quilt as my blanket at Michigan State University.

This is a photo of Chris Boussie. She is the one who introduced me to quilting. She passed away in 2009. She was a talented, wonderfully gracious and loving woman. I knew her just about my whole life. She knit my husband and I a beautiful afghan that is still on my couch. I think of her often. Thanks Chris for helping me keep my fingers busy!
That's all for now. Stay tuned for quilt #2.

3 comments:

  1. That quilt brings back such memories, Rebecca! You did a great job on your first quilt. I folded over the backing on my fist quilt, too. Doh! Though I would think that your binding could be repaired.

    And what a sweet tribute to your teacher. A beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks April! I've been thinking of cutting off the border/binding and reattaching a new one. Eh, it's on my list of UFO's! Once I get it done I'll be sure to put it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! I have a traditional log cabin on my bucket list(I have made a wonky log cabin)
    I'm sure putting a new binding on will be no problem.

    ReplyDelete